Tools for an Empath and Parent of an Empath
Are you a sensitive soul? Someone that is an empath or highly sensitive person. I have some tools to share that I hope will help you with any feelings of overwhelm.
Empathy is the ability to read and understand people and be in-tune with or resonate with others, voluntarily or involuntarily of one’s empath capacity.
If you are an Empath you can relate to people by sensing true feelings that run deeper than those portrayed on the surface. The Empath will pick up on the feelings and emotions of others around them as though it were their own feelings.
Empaths are highly sensitive, often with very emotional and energetic bodies which can act as sponges, absorbing the emotions of the people around them and then experiencing those feelings as if they were their own. Most Empaths have no idea that they are doing this. Some of the consequences are; feeling emotionally unstable, feeling very tired and drained or even depressed for “no reason”, having difficulty with stress and anxiety in crowds, having a feeling that they need to help other people before they help themselves.
While there is much, we don’t yet understand about how empathy works, we do have some information. Everything has an energetic vibration or frequency and an empath can sense these vibrations and recognize even the subtlest changes undetectable to the naked eye or the five senses.
If you have this trait and have recently only found out, or you knew you had it but didn’t fully understand, it is vital that you don’t eat up the negative energy from the people and the world around you.
My 19-year-old Daughter and I are both Empaths. This is a term I learned about 5 years ago. Since that time I have learned tools and tips to go from surviving to thriving, which has changed the direction of my life and helped guide that of my daughter. Here are some tools that I have found to be helpful along our journey of understanding the Empath life.
How to protect yourself from the negative energy?
• Do you close the door of your house when you leave? Yes, because it provides protection against outside influences. You also want to leave your house fully protected each morning. You can protect yourself from the negative energy by imagining yourself in a while bubble of pure love and protection, that allows no negativity in and no negativity out. You can say something like “I encircle myself in pure white light of love and protection. Nothing negative can come to me and nothing negative can come out of me. I am completely protected from any outside negative energies and effects”
• Meditation. You don’t need to go in for anything fancy, you can simply just sit down, relax and try and mentally let go of everything. Think of it as a shower for the mind, and you’re clearing your energy in order to tap into the pure energy of the collective consciousness. By turning negative energy into compassion, you remove the negative feeling and transform it into love.
• Clearing. Sage Burning is one way. What you are doing when using a sage is that you are burning the air so that the air, which carries the negative vibrations, is eaten by flame. Then the fresh air comes in by natural filing of space. Thus, welcoming the return of natural and neutral vibrations. You can also use Palo Santo (Holy Wood).
• Cleansing shower or bath. The physical action of taking a shower or bath, with the right intention set in your mind, can help wash away negative energy. Imagine all the negative energy lifting off each part of your body as you submerge into your bath or as shower water hits your skin. Baths also allow for the use of essential oils, Epsom salt, crystals and flower petals, for additional healing. If you are unable to take baths due to physical limitations or other reasons, here are a few alternatives: Soak your feet in Epsom salts, use a salt scrub in the shower, put your hands in a bowl of salt or Epsom salt water, wade or swim in the ocean. Try sea salt and baking soda (each 50%) instead of Epsom salts. Shamanic practitioners swear by it, and some find it more effective than the Epsom salts.
• Sounds. Sounds of chimes, bowls, bells and gongs have been used in practices such as yoga to dispel negative spirits. In the modern world, wind chimes are known for their relaxing effect on a person. The vibrations created by sounds of chimes and bells resonate through the air breaking up stagnant and negative energies. They also vibrate your energetic body and attune you to different frequencies.
• Light a candle. One candle should be enough (you can light more than one if that feels right) with the intention that the flame absorbs and melts away these lower energies. I use white emergency candles that I keep handy at home for this purpose and sometimes let it burn all the way till it’s all gone. Then I throw it in the garbage. Don’t burn a candle if you are sleeping or away from home.
• Grounding. There are many ways to ground; spend time in nature, yoga, crystals. Grounding has to-do with thoughts, beliefs, feelings, habits, fears. The basic rule is we came from the earth and go back to the earth, so let everything that comes through you go back to the earth. I like to visualize myself as a tree sending energy back to the earth.
• Earthing. By walking outside barefoot, sitting on the ground. Earthing as to do with energy field you get infused with the earth’s energy.
Essential Oils. Everything has its own natural vibration, including these powerful healing oils. Oils have physical as well as gravitational healing properties.
To use any of these oils, simply pick one or two that appeal to you and put 3 drops of oil per each teaspoon of a carrier oil such as almond oil or grape seed oil. You can anoint yourself with the blend as a perfume, diffuse it in your house, or carry the bottle with you to inhale the fragrance when you feel you need the extra support.
Here are some essential oils that are VERY helpful for Empaths and those working on bringing their abilities into more balance.
Shields – Sage, Patchouli, Frankincense
Self-love boosters – Jasmine, Rose, Sandalwood
Grounding – Clary Sage, Rosemary, Vetiver
Anxiety – Lavender, Basil, Chamomile, Bergamot, Ylang Ylang
Flower Essences. Flower essences work on subtle ‘unseen’ levels to gently re-establish balance and peace of mind. The essences cover many negative emotional and mental states. They work by infusing us with the positive qualities that we lack rather than by suppressing the disturbance. They help us to release blockages which may be hindering growth and offer us opportunities to learn more about ourselves.
If you have a child that is an Empath here are some tools to use:
The best time to start protection around children is before they even get up in the mornings. This can be done whether the child is in a crib or old enough to be in a bed. You can imagine bathing them in white light and asking the powers that be to protect the child. If you need inspiration for doing this, just imagine the bubbles kids blow in the summer and encase your child in one of them. To strengthen this field, you can ask their guardian angel to sit on top of the bubble and keep it strong. You repeat this process every night when they go to bed and every morning when they wake up.
• Crystals. Children love crystals and have a natural affinity for picking out which ones are best for them. They can carry or wear certain crystals that will block or transmute those energies.
Here are few I suggest:
o Hematite – This stone is an iron ore that often comes as a metallic gray but can also be black and red. It acts over emotional grounding, balancing opposing energies. It helps in focusing the mind and bringing peace to deal with emotional situations.
o Black Kyanite – This crystal is a favorite of healers, as it works for grounding but it also
resonates with higher frequencies. It can also be used for aura repairing and chakra attunement.
o Garnet – This stone ranges in color, but red is the most popular. It has a stabilizing effect by breaking through chaotic thoughts, behavior and surroundings.
o Red jasper – Besides being a good stone for protection, red jasper provides a sense of calm and gentle grounding. It also helps in completion of projects.
o Black Tourmaline – Helps protect from all kinds of negativity, ranging from electronic radiation from TVs and computers, to negative people, psychic attacks, past lives and spells. Black tourmaline seems to bring grounding in your life, and to balance our bodily systems for health.
o Rose Quartz – Often called the “Love Stone.” Its energetic hallmark is that of unconditional love that opens the heart chakra. This makes rose quartz a stone for every type of love: self-love, family, platonic, romantic, and unconditional. As a variety of quartz, rose quartz has high energy, and this strong energy can enhance love in virtually any situation. *This is my Daughter’s favorite.
• Teach them to blow the energy out of their mouths. When the child is still, have them sit down and imagine white light being poured into their heads to clean out the unwanted feelings. As the light is being poured in, they can help get rid of the unwanted feelings by exhaling out of their mouths. As the air leaves their mouths, they can push out all the unwanted energies that don’t belong to them. After doing so, they can ask fairies and angels to change all the negative and unwanted stuff into “pixie dust” and “angel dust”. This may take up to 5 minutes to do. After they are done, place a protective bubble around them or have them practice building one by themselves.
• Kids have the power to speak up. They can tell the energy to get out, move away, or leave them in peace. If they aren’t comfortable doing so they can ask their angels to do so. Some children like using a pointed crystal wand to draw a protection ring around themselves. Others like to use the wand to send out white light that keeps the other energies away. A Selenite wand is perfect for this purpose. To strengthen their connection to their spiritual guardians, I like to place statues of protective energies (angels, deities, fairies, etc. by their bedside).
Your inner power is Empathy! Once you learn some tools you will feel less overwhelmed. Keep working the tools and you will be able to apply them quickly. You will start to see glimpses of ways in which you have unique gifts that could help others.
Join our FREE Facebook group, Empath Mama, for support and guidance.